(Note: Since this tip was taped mid-air, the synchronization between sound and picture have a certain astronaut-on-CNN quality.)

Pink’s Travel Tips — Intro
Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #1
Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #2
Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #3
Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #4

23 Responses to “Pink’s Travel Tip #5: More hygiene!”

1. Helen says:

Goes right in the category of “Why didn’t I think of that?”. Some things are so obvious that I overlook them. Thanks for the tip.

2. Andrea says:

I love the travel tips. I had no idea the tray tables weren’t cleaned! I will definitely use this tip on my trip next month!

3. DGK says:

What do you have smeared on the inside of your nose?

4. Rob says:

You my friend are a very sick man!

I love your tips but you are seriously disturbed

5. You should wipe down the arm rests as well while you are at it. Thanks for the tip!

6. Pam says:

Is there any reason why you couldn’t simply squirt some more hand sanitizer on the tray (or armrests, or whatever) and then wipe it around with a fresh napkin or kleenex? It would save having to pack the wipes, since you’ve already got hand sanitizer.

7. Chris says:

I would just add that you should avoid contact with the disgusting garbage… I mean… pocket beneath the tray table. The worst is when there is a quick connection and the cabin isn’t fully cleaned… that pocket is beyond gross! Stay healthy!

8. Martha says:

Thanks for this! I have done that many times and people look at me like I’m a OCD nutcase. It’s good to know I’m not alone. Keep up the good work and keep those tips coming! PS Are you going to discuss all of the things in a hotel room that should be wiped down? The TV remote, phone, alarm clock…

9. thaitourde says:

Thanks, that was a very interesting read. The history behind the facts…

10. Ray says:

I love your small video snippets. The right dose of edutainment for in-between.

Putting back the tray table in an upright position will invalidate all your previous cleaning efforts. This is as the table touches the back of the seat in front of you.

11. Ron P says:

All 5 video snippets are nice. Thanks for sharing.

12. Cathy says:

How about purchasing an inexpensive gas mask, or a vacuumed sealed body suit?

13. Dan Pink Dan Pink says:

@cathy — hmmmm. a gas mask. that might have to be travel tip #17. thanks for watching!
    cheers,
    dan

• Steve Rosson says:

My wife has done the wipe down for years and she also includes the armrest controls, seat recline button and also on long haul flights with the hand held controllers.(They look like a hard wired remote.) If you use the airplane phone (where they have them), that is another germ growing area.
      Travel healthy.

14. Dan,

What did you say you have in your nose? I rewound it like 10 times to listen and can’t figure out what you are saying there. Thanks!

15. Dang you are quick! I just watched Tip #1 and figured it out. I came back to this page just to tell you to ignore my question but you beat me to it! Thanks, Dan. Great site!

16. I use these wipes in my hotel room as well: remote control (which now I know I shouldn’t use anyway :-), door knobs, light switches, drape rods (that you use to open & close), and (last) the toilet flusher.

17. Bob Doyle says:

Thanks Dan for all the great travel tips. But please mention the most dirty thing you can touch or put your mouth against while traveling – the well used, and coughed on, telephone! I always carry something with me to spray that germ loaded thing with before making a call on it! Can you imagine what’s growing there after a couple of days, weeks, years, decades, etc.? Even your home telephones should be cleaned of flu bugs periodically, and they’re family!

18. [...] Tip #1Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #2 Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #3Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #4Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #5Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #6Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip #7Pink’s Travel Tips — Tip [...]

19. Maxim says:

Dan,

First of all thank you very much for your tips! I enjoyed them a lot, please keep them coming :)

But at this particular one I might be willing to introduce a little ambiguity. Hygiene per se is of course a good thing. But as you seem to be kind of obsessing about it, I would highly recommend you to read the following post @ marksdailyapple (great blog BTW which I enjoy a lot):

20. jenjen says:

Just found these tips today – thanks so much for doing them! I want to echo the comment about the seat pockets. People stuff their garbage, tissues, and who knows what else in there, and being fabric you can’t just wipe them down. I put all the stuff I’m going to want during the flight into a plastic bag and put that in the pocket so my stuff doesn’t touch the pocket. It also reduces the chances of leaving something behind after the flight.

21. Karen says:

Mr. Pink, I think you ought to read up on the difference between antibiotic and antiseptic.